When a family arrives at Freedom House, they are DESPERATE. They’ve exhausted every other alternative living arrangement for their family. Freedom House provides them with their basic necessities, and most importantly, a limitless supply of HOPE for their future.
Our step-by-step program is tailor made to fit each individual family and is aimed at restoring the family unit, not just provide emergency help. The result is a positive and beneficial environment that encourages families to live more productive, healthy and fulfilling lives. And that, ultimately, benefits us all!
When a family arrives at Freedom House, they immediately receive:
- Safety from the elements
- Three hot meals and a snack daily
- Access to free healthcare on site (provided by Outreach Healthcare)
- A warm bed to sleep in for each family member
- Necessary clothing for each family member
- All personal hygiene supplies
While a family is at Freedom House, they:
- Learn life skills: responsibility, accountability, effective communication
- Get help securing a job: interview skills, appropriate clothing, access to transportation, daycare
- Learn financial responsibility: save for a security deposit and rent, budget their earnings, add to a savings account, bill-paying skills
- Learn better parenting skills: quality time, involvement at school, discipline
When a family “graduates” from our program and moves from hopelessness to HOPE, not only are they equipped with the skills to live independently, they will also receive any household supplies needed for their new home. That could mean any of the following:
- Furniture: a bed with linens for each family member, tables, couches, chairs, etc.
- Household supplies: dishes, cleaning supplies, personal products, toothbrushes, soap
- Computer: sufficient for homework
- “Guardian Angel:” mentoring family to help maintain progress after leaving Freedom House
- Groceries: a stock of supplies to give them a strong start